Lymphodema

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am

Lymphodema

I have very dry skin. My clothes look like I have dandruff and my legs are rough and have scales. My left foot and ankle swells up to the start of the calf. Recently it has stayed a reddish colour and my toes have become swollen. I have this going on for around 7-8 weeks. My doctor is referring me to hospital and this appointment and I could wait 18mths to 2 years.
Is there anything I can use to ease the dryness of my skin on my legs? I go on holiday in September and any heat aggravates my lower left leg and I also get heat rash on my legs.
Many thanks.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:38 am

Re: Lymphodema

It is very important to maintain the condition of the skin with regular emollients designed for dry flaky skin, such as epaderm, cetraben and diprobase which can all be purchased OTC. For the swelling in just one leg I am assuming your GP has arranged tests to exclude a clot (deep vein thrombosis)? Assuming this has been excluded your GP can start you on support hosiery/compression stockings after scanning the vessels in your legs which will help reduce the swelling in the leg whilst awaiting your dermatology review. The stockings will also help whilst you are on holiday and on flights.
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts