fingernails, psoriasis?

Post your psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
cathytoss

by cathytoss on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm

fingernails, psoriasis?

hello!
I've been told before that when my nails were pitted it was oddly related to the scaly patches on my elbows. however, I now have lines going... parallel to the cuticle? on every nail. and pits. and in general I'm feeling worse (I'm also hypothyroid ). I've never had my nails this mangled, especially combined with extra poorly ness symptoms. I don't have access to dermatology or rheumatology at the moment. but it's this something I should look into?
thanks for reading!
kind regards,
Cath Tyler

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am

Re: fingernails, psoriasis?

Dear Cath

Thank you for your question.

I'm not sure if you've been formally diagnosed with psoriasis, however patches on the elbows and nail changes can both be caused by psoriasis.

Nail psoriasis can be a difficult condition to treat and has a significant impact on a patient's emotional well being and quality of life. This is often underestimated.

Typical signs of nail psoriasis include, pitting, discoloured/brown nails, thickening under the nail, white areas within the nail and ridging.

I would suggest that you get both your skin and nails looked at by a Consultant Dermatologist, who will be able to provide you with a diagnosis. There are multiple treatment modalities which may help both your skin and nails.

I hope this helps.

Adil
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

cathytoss

by cathytoss on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Re: fingernails, psoriasis?

ah, sorry if i wasn't clear. I have been diagnosed as having psoriasis, from what has been seen on both the skin ( usually my elbows, sometimes my knees) and on my nails (the mild pitting I've had before). I've never felt so unwell before (joint pains and strained tendons and muscle twists and fatigue to beat the band), and never had the skin psoriasis this time of year, and never had this kind of ridging in my nails before.

3 posts