Squamish cell carcinoma

Post your skin cancer and sun safety related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Abbiesnan

by Abbiesnan on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Squamish cell carcinoma

Just had a squamish cell carcinoma removed from back of my hand. Got a lovely scar running th full length of my hand. I'm still waiting for the results as was told what they removed would be sent away for analysis. Was wondering what, if any, treatment is offered after this type of cancer is removed. Are we called back to dermatology dept at hospital for regular check ups perhaps? Any tips from anyone who has experienced this would be great.

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Re: Squamish cell carcinoma

Squamous cell carcinomas are skin cancers that are most often related to sun exposure in the past.

Surgical removal is usually curative and often no further treatment is required. Once the cancer has been removed it will placed into a category based on the type and thickness of the lesion.

Follow up Is usually based on the type of SCC- occasionally a single follow up is required however sometimes patients are reviewed for up to 3 years.

Your case will most likely be discussed in an MDM- multi disciplinary meeting which consists of various doctors and nurses and an appropriate management plan based on your history and the type of SCC will be provided to you.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts