Hyde's Disease (Prurigo nodularis)

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
RintyRins

by RintyRins on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am

Hyde's Disease (Prurigo nodularis)

My GP has diagnosed me with this. It manifests on my right forearm and to a lesser extent, my upper arm and shoulder. I moisturise it regularly and have tried steroid cream, but that hasn't helped. My GP hasn't suggested anything else that I can try to get rid of it. It's intensely itchy but antihistamines don't help. It also looks dreadful so I always cover my arm when I'm in public. Can you suggest anything else that might help me?

Dr Adil Sheraz

by Dr Adil Sheraz on Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Hyde's Disease (Prurigo nodularis)

Nodular prurigo is an extremely itchy condition that often affects the arms and legs, it presents as nodules (lumps) on the skin which can then sometimes scar.

Initial treatment would involve topical steroids and antihistamines. If this fails then wet wraps with zinc paste bandages has good symptomatic relief.

Following this you would need to see a dermatologist who depending on the examination findings may suggest phototherapy or stronger oral treatments.

I would initially see if you can be prescribed and taught how to use the wet wraps.

I hope that helps.
Dr Adil Sheraz
Consultant Dermatologist - MBBS, BMEDSCI(HONS), MRCP (UK), MRCP (DERMATOLOGY) (UK)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sheraz.php

2 posts