Recurring shingles

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
silverfox13

by silverfox13 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Recurring shingles

I suffer from recurring shingles, mostly brought on by stress. Is there anything that is budget friendly to relieve the burning itch. It’s mostly on the left side of my face along the jawline and I get it at least once a month. It’s driving me crazy especially if my hair touches it and I just want to claw at it to make it stop.
Thanks

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Recurring shingles

Dear Silver Fox

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing recurring shingles, which I am sure is painful and distressing.
It is very likely that you are describing post-herpetic neuralgia is lasting nerve pain in an area previously affected by shingles. It's estimated that up to one in five people, who have had shingles and more common in older people. Many people with post-herpetic neuralgia make a full recovery within a year. But symptoms occasionally last for several years or may be permanent.

There are treatments for post-herpetic neuralgia, painkillers can help, but there are some other drugs, which can specifically help your nerve pain, which can be prescribed by your GP. I suggest you make an appointment to discuss this problem with your GP.

I hope this helps and your pain is resolved soon.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Recurring shingles

From your description it sounds like you have the persistent nerve pains following a shingles attack (called post herpetic neuralgia) rather than shingles itself per se. Post herpetic neuralgia happens in approx 1/5 people and can last months, sometimes longer. For this type of nerve related pain, low doses of antidepressants such as amitrypitilline have a ‘nerve numbing effect’ can help relieve the pain so it would be worthwhile exploring this possibility with your gp.
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

3 posts