Unidentified Skin Issue

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Francescalee

by Francescalee on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Unidentified Skin Issue

My son (2 years & 3 months old) started experiencing dry skin about 4-5 months ago. Initially it started off as a small patch on his belly (not red or scaly, just dry). I went to my GP and he prescribed Hydrocortisone and Cetraben creams for me to try for a week then review. After the week it didn't improve, it actually spread and so he prescribed Betnovate. Again it didn't improve and then he prescribed Fucidin, yet again it didn't work and has now spread to majority of his back, chest, legs and arms.

I must stress, that I was always a bit weary of the initial diagnosis of eczema, only because it doesn't itch in the slightest. My son shows absolutely no signs of discomfort and other than the look of it, it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

I was then referred to a dermatologist, but 2 days ago, these patches developed big red spots (I actually thought he had chickenpox to begin with!). It looks like chickenpox but he has no other symptoms, no fever, no itchiness and actually after the first day they had all completely scabbed over. and these spots are ONLY within his existing patches which is strange if it were chickenpox.

I saw the dermatologist today and to be honest, she was flabbergasted also. Everything she thinks it could possibly be he would either be super itchy or unwell in himself which he isn't.

Which is why i'm posting this here in the hope that someone might know what it is or have had a similar experience? Hate seeing my little boy with this all over his skin, any help will be hugely appreciated. Please see attached photos for reference. Thank you
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 16.32.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 16.32.51.jpeg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 16.32.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-24 at 16.32.56.jpeg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: Unidentified Skin Issue

Dear Frances
Thank you for your post.I have answered in full in the Eczema section, where a duplicate of your questions and images were posted. Please refer to the Eczema section for my reply.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

2 posts