Mood swings

Post questions relating to reproductive health and hormones here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 am

Mood swings

I'm 53 and going through the menopause. One of the hardest things I'm having to deal with is my constant mood swings. I don't like taking medication and wondered if there were any natural ways of trying to regulate the hormones in order to make the mood swings less severe. Thank you. Belinda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Ali Mortimer

by Ali Mortimer on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Re: Mood swings

Hi Belinda
I am sorry to hear you are suffering with mood swings.

If you are looking to regulate your hormones, then it is good to understand what can disrupt them.
- eat a whole food diet with lots of fresh veg, fruits, low GI carbohydrates and lean proteins and reduce hormone disrupters such as diary, high amounts of gluten and alcohol.
- take some exercise every day
- stress can be a real hormone disupter, so you could look in to trying some relaxation techniques that work for you - a bath, a massage, complementary therapies such as aromatherapy, reflexology, reiki. You may also wish to try meditation or mindfulness and other breathing techniques - some good apps are calm, headspace and insight timer if you are new to this.
- sleep - a lack of sleep can be really disruptive and can cause you to be more emotional so aim for 7-8 hours a night; have a good wind down bed time routine and reduce your screen time before you go to bed. If you find you are waking in the night and can't sleep, perhaps use a journal or notebook to write out your thoughts or use meditation or breathing to help you rest.

I hope this gives you some good ideas on where you can start? Please do get back in touch if you have futher questions.

Best wishes
Ali
Ali Mortimer
Holistic Health & Happiness Coach (IIN)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rtimer.php

2 posts