early menopause

Post questions relating to reproductive health and hormones here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
castlebergh

by castlebergh on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 pm

early menopause

Ata 48 I am being recommended for HRT but am rather confused as to what type to have? Also is it inevitable I will gain weight or is 1 type better than another. I will continue to watch my diet and exercise but does HRT actually make you gain weight?

Fran McElwaine

by Fran McElwaine on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Re: early menopause

It is not in the scope of practice of health coaches to recommend particular medications, but as a general rule, opting for bio-identical hormones that are absorbed through the skin via patches and gels minimise the risk of unwanted side-effects.

Weight gain at menopause is not at all obligatory. It happens when there is an imbalance in the relationship between our sex hormones (oestrogen and progesterone) and insulin (the hormone which governs the amount of sugar we have in our blood).

There are a number of key strategies that can help manage weight through peri/menopause:

1) Reducing the amount of starchy carbs we eat is one of the best ways of keeping insulin levels low and even. This reduces the level of inflammation in the body.
2) Reducing your exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals such as plastics, phtalates and parabens found in most skin and haircare products by opting for products free of these ingredients
3) Reducing your exposure to petrochemical based fertilisers and pesticides by eating organic food as much as you can
4) Increasing the amount of vegetables you eat every day. Vegetables contain essential compounds that helps us to manage hormone and toxin levels in our body by optimising liver and digestive function. This is possibly the single most important thing you can do to help manage your hormone balance.

If you would like some more information about natural ways to manage hormone balance, you may want to download my free Hormone Balancing Cheat Sheet. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/happy_hormones

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss your unique situation in more details.

With all possible good wishes

Fran

Wishing you well
Fran McElwaine
AFMC, CHHC - Functional Health & Lifestyle Coach

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lwaine.php

2 posts