Frequency of emollents

Post your questions about psoriasis here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
NickyBlyth

by NickyBlyth on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Frequency of emollents

Hi there,

I have had psoriasis for most of my life. I go through periods of it being better and it being worse ( its usually worse when im stressed. I also have IBS and i find that when im stressed my IBS flares up and then my psoriasis flares up) At the moment its particularly bad on my fingers and scalp.

I was wondering if there is A) a time that i could start using my emollents more frequently before it flares up to prevent a flare up?. B) if i could even start to use some form of steriod cream before it gets really bad to help with it? C) Is there a chance that i am over doing it completely and im using my emollents too much in the first place?

I have emollent washes that i use in place of soap 100% of the time regardless of a flare up. I then use an emollent moistureiser (epaderm) once day usually and a normal shampoo and conditioner. When i have a flare up i use epaderm 6/7 times a day and i use a baby's cradle cap shampoo (dentinox) and sometimes a steriod ointment (clobetasol propionate). Thank you for your time. Nicky

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: Frequency of emollents

Dear Nicky,

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear about your psoriasis. Yes using emollients often is helpful, you can use them as often as you want.

Clobetasole propionate is okay for adults for fingers and scalp for about 1 month. Have you tried Enstilar foam on your fingers? Clobetasole propionate and Enstilar is too strong for skin folds and face, you can use Eumovate cream or ointment in these areas. You can use steroid creams before flare or as a maintenance twice weekly.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts