Swollen ankle due to oesteo-arthritis

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

Swollen ankle due to oesteo-arthritis

I have suffered for about 4 years now a permanent swollen left ankle due to oesteo-arthritis. I use a Fenbid 10% gel prescribed by my doctor morning and night. I have purchased strong ankle socks to support my ankle that I can wash in the washing machine.

But my questions to the team are,

1. Is this condition hereditary?

2. I have a healthy diet and take a 1000mg for liver capsule daily, so does diet play a part in getting this condition?.

3. Should I be taking any other vitamins/supplements as I have heard that Tumeric is good, but being on regular medication for diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and cholesterol tablets faulty can I then purchase and take Tumeric tablets?

Fiona
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Swollen ankle due to oesteo-arthritis

Thank you for your questions Fiona.

1. There is a genetic element existed in people living with osteoarthritis (OA) (Yucesoy et al 2015). MacGregor and colleagues (2009) have illustrated that: 65% in hand OA, 60% hips, 40% knees and 70% spine. There is a lack of data regarding ankle OA.

2. Known risk factors of OA are: age, gender, previous trauma/ injuries/ abnormal joint loading, metabolic diseases such as Type 2 diabetes and carrying excess body weight. There is no specific diet for OA and maintain a body weight is the key! Sadly cod liver oil does not reduce OA symptoms (Stammers et al 1992).

3. The evidence for turmeric is limited (Lu et al 2018). Because you are taking other medications, it is best to check with your pharmacist before using the supplement. You have aforementioned following a healthy diet. In this case you do not need to take a vitamin & mineral supplement apart from vitamin D during the winter months (Oct-April). Of note, if you are living in a residential home or have not been enjoying the sunshine in the summer; then you will need to consider using a vitamin D supplement all year round.

References:
Lu et al (2018) https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/a ... 75/4916021 (Open Access).

MacGregor AJ, Li Q, Spector TD, Williams FM (2009) The genetic influence on radiographic osteoarthritis is site specific at the hand, hip and knee. Rheumatology 48(3):277–80.

Stammers T, Sibbald B, Freeling P (1992) Efficacy of cod liver oil as an adjunct to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug treatment in the management of osteoarthritis in general practice. Ann Rheum Disease 51(1):128-9.

Yucesoy B, Charles LE, Baker B, Burchfiel CM. (2015) Occupational and genetic risk factors for osteoarthritis: a review. Work 50(2):261-73.

Martin Lau
Dietitian

2 posts