Forearm pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 am

Forearm pain

I am getting a pain in my forearm which comes and goes. It is most noticeable when I raise a glass or mug from the table to my mouth. Is this some form of arthritis? Should I be doing exercises or seeing anyone to try and correct it?

Any help and advice would be appreciated, thank you. Penny
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Re: Forearm pain

Forearm pain which is separate from any joint pain is very unlikely to be due to arthritis which affects the joints. It could be muscle pain as it is provoked by activity or something like tennis elbow which causes tenderness over the outer side of the elbow especially when lifting. Tennis elbow is a type of tendonitis and can be treated with physiotherapy, stretching, massage or acupuncture, and of course avoiding the activity that is provoking the pain. Tennis elbow or epicondyle supports can aso be helpful - most chemists stock these. Injections are no more effective than simple measures.

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate
London SW1E 6AE

020 3781 7120
www.arthritisaction.org.uk

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:51 am

Re: Forearm pain

I agree with Dr Holden's advice. It doesn't sound like an arthritic condition as it isn't your joint. I would consult your GP and, if he/she thinks it's appropriate, ask for a referral to physiotherapy for an assessment to determine the cause of the pain. Your physiotherapist can then help with appropriate treatment, exercises, pacing advice and lifestyle/ergonomic modifications.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts