Painkiller increase.

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
yellowfairy

by yellowfairy on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Painkiller increase.

Hello,

I have Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's and osteo athritis. I take 4 Tramadol and 4 Paracetamol a day also 4 Gabapentin. Sometimes when the pain is so bad (flare) I increase these to 6 a day, once the pain has eased i drop back down to 4's. My question is, is it safe to do this or should I stay at 6 of each all the time?
Thank you

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Re: Painkiller increase.

There are no painkillers that are really effective in fibromyalgia and unfortunately addiction to opioids such as tramadol and codeine is very common. If you are used to high doses of painkillers such as tramadol then increasing the dose if safe but is unlikely to work in the long term. Unfortunately the only evidence-based treatments that work for fibromyalgia are graded exerise and some self-management techniques such as cognitive behavioural therapy and dealing with the sleep disturbance caused by traumatic life events that have triggered the fibromyalgia in the first place. Obviously this is challenging but most hospital therapy or pain management departments now have fibromyalgia programmes that may be able to help and are safer than painkillers in the long-term. Ask your GP for a referral if you have not already had one.

Dr Wendy Holden FRCP
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate
London SW1E 6AE

020 3871 7120
www.arthritisaction.org.uk

2 posts