Pain with M.E

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Judith 21

by Judith 21 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Pain with M.E

I am an ex nurse and have had chronic pain for 7 years and I cope by changing jobs, using relevant medication, light exercise and will power. But, I also have M.E and one of the worse things for it is exercise or I am useless for a couple of days 2 days after it. This has left me with very poor muscle tone and increased pain. Is there anything you can suggest please.
Also the headaches I get now are having an impact as they are daily so again I would be grateful for any help.

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 am

Re: Pain with M.E

The worsening of pain you experience after exercise is typical "boom and bust" pain which happens with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia where if you are feeling slightly better you do too much and suffer for it afterwards. Learning good pacing habits is vital to get over this issue, and that means not doing too much when you are having a slightly better day. Improving your sleep quality, more gentle exercise such as tai chi, and dealing with your mind or mood distubance with CBT, talking therapies, distraction, medtation of even antidepressants may also all help. Taking time for yourself every day and learning how to say no may also be essential.

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist

Artritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate
London SW1E 6AE

020 3781 7120
www.arthritisaction.org.uk

2 posts