Ehlers Danlos and Osteoarthritis

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
dan13113

by dan13113 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Ehlers Danlos and Osteoarthritis

I’m 37 and suffer with ehlers danlos hypermobility syndrome, osteoarthritis and metabolic bone disease. Over the years my symptoms have gotten worse, at times my very strong painkillers have no effect, I am constantly exhausted to the point where I am falling asleep when ever I sit down, but can’t get a restful night sleep as I’m in too much pain. It takes me an hour to get out of bed in the morning due to stiffness and pain.
As my EDS causes me joint instability and dislocations what exercises can I do that will help me to lose weight, tone up and improve strength?
How can I improve my sleep to help with my exhaustion?

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Re: Ehlers Danlos and Osteoarthritis

It would be worth consulting your GP to ask for a referral to physiotherapy. Your physiotherapist will assess you to determine the extent of your hypermobility, specific strengths and weaknesses, and biomechanical issues. He/she should then be able to prescribe specific/targeted exercises to help with muscle imbalances and to help strengthen the muscles around the affected joints which can help with joint stability. There may also be support groups or classes local to you which your GP could recommend for you.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

2 posts