Multiple urine infections

Post your questions about kidney issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 am

Multiple urine infections

Please could you let me know what I should be asking my urologist to do for me so I can break the cycle of urine infection after infection since January this year. I've had a urethral dilatation in April and now as well as being left incontinent faecal wise since December 2011 when I got necrotizing entrocolitis after a botched surgery, I'm due to have an ultrasound of my urethral tract etc and blood tests repeated as my kidneys are working hard but if this shows it's a kidney problem not urethral I'll be passed to another doctor. I cannot use intermittent self catheterization forever and am just getting fed up. What should I ask the kidney drs to do to try and help, thank you.
Emily
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Re: Multiple urine infections

Emily
sorry to hear of your issues. Sounds a complicated situation and i might need a little more information to really understand things.
Recurrent urinary infections usually lead to an ultrasound of the urinary tract looking for stones and other abnormalities of the renal tract.
If you have had a urethral dilatation and are doing intermittent self dilatation then presumably your bladder doesn't empty well. A flow rate check and residual volume measurement would be useful to measure.
Key thing is to send the urine when an infection occurs to see if a culture can show which bug is the cause and which antibiotics are the best.
It might be worth trying some preventative/prophylactic antibiotics at low dose for 3-6 months to try and break the cycle.
Sometimes urodynamic studies will provide a good answer to what is going on..
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts