Kidney removed

Post your questions about kidney issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JulesSMills

by JulesSMills on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am

Kidney removed

My husband had one of his kidneys removed 19 years ago due to a tumour attached to the kidney. He has had good kidney health since then with his remaining kidney. I am concerned about how alcohol may affect his kidney. He can sometimes go weeks without a drink but then drink a bottle of bourbon (or other spirit), almost in a night, or often over two nights. It is almost binge drinking, I suppose. As he has aged (in 50s now) he has definitely been drunk much quicker and also can get quite agressive (not violent) and this can be a little scary but I realise this is probably age related rather than anything to do with his kidney. Is this type of drinking, and he does drink most weekends,occasionally in the week, going to cause any problems with his remaining kidney? He doesn't smoke and is generally healthy.

Professor Bhaskar Somani

by Professor Bhaskar Somani on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 am

Re: Kidney removed

Hi
Thanks for getting it touch with us.
I presume he kidney function (blood test) and blood pressure is monitored regularly and that's how you know that his kidneys are healthy.
As for the binge drinking which happens at times, this would be more concerning for his liver and certainly won't be good for his health. I suspect he should be warned of the risks to his liver and get his liver function checked. In severe cases of liver disease the kidneys can get affected but this is not till the liver is damaged, hence the need to keep the liver healthy. Apart from decreasing his alcohol intake he should also maintain adequate fluid hydration.
Professor Bhaskar Somani
Professor of Urology and Consultant Endourologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... somani.php

2 posts