Haematospermia

If you have questions about prostate cancer or PSA tests please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AeliusGalenus

by AeliusGalenus on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Haematospermia

I'm 70 and have had bouts of heamospermia on and off for several years now. In fact the amount of fluid ejaculated, with/without blood present has been getting less and less over the time span. Pre-cum is clear.
Following a cardiology examination 2 or so years ago I was put on the blood thinner rivaroxaban after paroxysmal atrial fibrillation was diagnosed. Very soon after I developed very noticeable hematuria. Full set of urological tests, CT scans etc were carried out and nothing was found . The hematuria stopped soon after on its own accord and has not recurred thankfully. However occasional bouts of haemaspermia continue although not at present. What could be the cause?

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Haematospermia

Haematospermia is always very worrying but thankfully unlikely to be due to a nasty cause.
Most likely are small stones in the prostate or a vein on the inner prostate surface that bleeds. Reassuringly you have already had a CT and flexible cystoscopy to rule out bladder cancer or major other issues. The Rivaroxaban won't be causing it but might be contributing.
Would be worth having a DRE prostate exam and PSA test
If prolonged i usually get an MRI scan to look more closely at the prostate and do an ejaculation test for infection in case an unusual infection is the cause.
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts