DRE Examinations for those at higher risk

If you have questions about prostate cancer or PSA tests please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Scorpio65

by Scorpio65 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 pm

DRE Examinations for those at higher risk

Hi,

I'm aged 54 and my father passed away from prostate cancer when he was 46 (I was 16 years old). I have a PSA test annually and the result is always very low (0.6). Despite this, I'm aware that the PSA test isn't accurate and symptoms aren't always present or obvious.

I think I am entitled to ask my GP for a regular DRE but they seem reluctant and only seem to be interested if I have clear symptoms (I do not). I have to get up once a night to go to the bathroom and I don't feel my stream is as strong as it once was. Apart from that, I don't have any other obvious symptoms.

Would you advise me to pursue a yearly DRE with my GP or even MRI scan if available. I would appreciate your advice and guidance.

Neil Parry

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Re: DRE Examinations for those at higher risk

Neil
Understand your very relevent concerns especially considering your fathers young age.
Your PSA level of 0.6 is not just low it is VERY low and makes prostate cancer highly unlikely . ERSPC risk calculator gives risk of significant cancer at <0.1%.
http://www.prostatecancer-riskcalculator.com

A DRE is likely to reveal a very small and possibly firm prostate and i agree won't take things much further.
Unless you think your father had a low or non PSA secreting tumour it is really unlikely that you could have any significant prostate cancer.
you should continue with annual tests and have a low threshold for referral
ie if goes over 2.
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts