being treated for eczema on vulva

Post your questions about psoriasis here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
rae10000

by rae10000 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:11 pm

being treated for eczema on vulva

Hi, January of this year I started to get thrush or so i thought. After countless GP visits and one gynaecologist appointment the general consensus is that I have some sort of eczema. A swab taken didn't show anything.

I have no (& have never had any) eczema on any other part of my body. My symptoms are redness, itching, swelling (as in my parts can quadruple in size) and impossible or painful sex?

I use steroid creams daily. I have used dermovate, am currently on eumovate 5% twice daily till the end of the month when I move on to once a day and then after another month I am to move on to 1% twice daily and then after another month to once a day with the then intention of just using as and when needed.

I feel that the steroid creams keep it in check (not perfect but bearable) but as soon as I stop the cream my symptoms come back with a vengeance. Is there anything else I can do? Also is it common to have eczema here and no where else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Re: being treated for eczema on vulva

I am so sorry to hear about your suffering! It is possible but unusual to have eczema just in this area. I think you should ask to have an allergy test called patch testing to make sure your eczema is not because you developed an allergy to something you come in contact with for example a fragrance or a preservative in household products or nail varnish. Sometimes very rarely a gut problem called Crohn's disease can present in a similar way, so you may be offered by your dermatologist to have test called a skin biopsy to rule this out. Crohn's disease is usually treated by a gastroenterologist using powerful medications.

I hope this is helpful.
With Best Wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
The British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
London, Cambridge, Leicester and Bedford

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Instagram your_skin_dr
Twitter your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts