sleep for the elderly

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

sleep for the elderly

Hello
My mother in law is 85...she has no major health issues...but sleep is an issue.
She says she doesn't drop off to sleep for hours regularly saying shes awake till 5 am then drops off... or she goes to sleep but awakes to go to the loo and can't get back to sleep and tosses and turns for hours. Everyday she feels so exhausted she can't find the energy to do the simplest tasks..she has spoken to her doctor, he gave her amitriptyline, it finished and he didn't follow up ...he's not a very proactive doctor blaming every health concern on old age.
My MIL has many years left in her yet if she could sleep!!!
Any ideas?? melatonin??

Thank you, Lindsey
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

JanetGJones

by JanetGJones on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Re: sleep for the elderly

This is similar to my problem. I lie awake for hours but cannot wake up in the morning. If I am woken I immediately drop straight back to sleep before I have a chance to decide to get up. I am wasting half of my life.

Dr Neil Stanley

by Dr Neil Stanley on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am

Re: sleep for the elderly

Sleep naturally changes as we get older, it becomes less refreshing and is also more easily distributable, and once our sleep has been disturbed, we find it increasingly difficult to fall back asleep. Because we don't remember being asleep, it is possible that your MIL is actually having more sleep than she believes, however, the fact that she feels so exhausted during the day means she is probably not getting sufficient sleep. Amitriptyline certainly can be helpful, and melatonin is undoubtedly worth a try. If you are not happy with your GP change your GP
Dr Neil Stanley
Independent Freelance Sleep Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tanley.php

3 posts