2 hours after going to bed

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
HHBBNN54

by HHBBNN54 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:33 pm

2 hours after going to bed

It does not matter what time I go to bed I always wake up roughly 2 hours after and then have trouble getting back to sleep again. I also seem to be waking at around 4am - 4.30am even going to bed late the same thing happens. I am then tired late afternoon but try to fight it as long as possible. Has anyone got any suggestions as how to get a decent nights sleep.

Dr Neil Stanley

by Dr Neil Stanley on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Re: 2 hours after going to bed

If you are disturbed during the night and don't fall back to sleep within approx 20 minutes the advice is to stop trying to sleep and either turn the light on and read, if that is possible or get up go to another room and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy again. You wake up preferentially in your dreaming sleep which occurs approx every 90 minutes or so hence why you wake at approx. the same time each night. If it possible for you to have a nap in the afternoon there is no reason to avoid it as long as it is no more than approx 2 hours. You may want to try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia, which night improve your sleep, sleepstation.org.uk is available free on the NHS in England
Dr Neil Stanley
Independent Freelance Sleep Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tanley.php

2 posts