Cannot switch mind off

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lacemaker

by lacemaker on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Cannot switch mind off

It takes me hours sometimes to fall asleep. I create all sorts of scenes in my head and find myself thinking of better answers to say to people rather than what I did say. I have a milky drink before bed, I only use the bedroom for sleep. It’s not too warm and nice and dark. I have real trouble getting comfortable in bed. Not because of the mattress but because of my body. I have two stomas, lymphoedema and restless legs.

Dr Neil Stanley

by Dr Neil Stanley on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Re: Cannot switch mind off

A racing mind is probably the most common cause of poor sleep in this day and age. It is very easy to say that you just need to quieten your mind, perhaps a bit more difficult to do it in practice. your medical conditions are f course contributing to your problems. I would suggest talking with your doctor and review any medications you are on to see if they may be affecting your sleep or if there are other alternatives that may assist your sleep. You may also want to try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for insomnia that may help you find it easier to fall asleep. Sleepstation.org.uk is available free on the NHS in England
Dr Neil Stanley
Independent Freelance Sleep Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... tanley.php

2 posts