Sleep paralysis

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Katianice

by Katianice on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 am

Sleep paralysis

Hi, I would like to know more about sleep paralysis. How dangerous is it? Do many people suffer from it?
For the last two months i have been experiencing strange "dreams" during my sleep. Usually it happens when i am restless, awake and can't sleep in the middle of the night. And when eventually i am falling asleep i see a strange dream like i am not sleeping at all but i cant move my body and i can't speak. Also a Very scary sensation like my body has been squeezed. Feels like there are no borders between dreams and reality.
Do i need to visit a doctor?
Thank you for your attention.

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:14 am

Re: Sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis is a parasomnia when the body is unable to move (or speak) for a very short period of time – often a few seconds – but there is a feeling of consciousness.

It occurs in REM sleep (when dreams occur) and it’s not harmful but can be very frightening.

Many people have sleep paralysis once or twice in their life, others a few times a year but some will experience it more frequently.

It affects people of all ages and is most common in teenagers and young adults.

Common triggers include:
Sleep deprivation
Irregular sleeping patterns
Sleeping on your back
Narcolepsy
A family history
Treatment

Improving sleep and lifestyle habits as well as paying attention to your sleep environment may help.

Things to consider include:
Keeping regular hours – going to bed and getting up at the same time all the time
Create the ideal sleeping environment – it should be cool, quiet, dark, comfortable and clutter free
Take regular exercise – but not too close to bedtime
Avoid alcohol, caffeine and eating later at night
Manage stress and anxiety with relaxation techniques

If you’re worried or concerned, you must visit your GP.
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts