How can my sleep be improved?

Post your questions about sleep priority here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am

How can my sleep be improved?

I live in a horrible location with violent neighbors that are a security/access risk 24/7. What foods and processes do you recommend to help improve my sleep?
Thank you, Dee
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Re: How can my sleep be improved?

Hi Dee
Thanks for your message.

There are lots of things you can put into practice to help improve your sleep:

To ensure you experience good sleep it’s essential to follow good lifestyle habits and to eliminate the factors that are causing you disturbed sleep. For example, making sure your bedroom is the right environment (cool, dark and quiet), that your bed is comfortable and supportive, looking at the lighting in your home, and avoiding foods and drink that can hinder sleep.

Research has found that certain nutrients may play an underlying role in short and long sleep duration. For longer and better quality sleep it’s important to have lycopene (found in red and orange-coloured foods), carbohydrates, vitamin C, selenium (found in nuts, meat and shellfish), and more lutein/zeaxanthin (found in green, leafy vegetables that are rich in stress reducing calcium). Try bananas, almonds and fish. You can read more here https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/sleep-hub/f ... you-sleep/

Avoid screen time at least an hour before bed and find alternative ways of relaxing like warm baths with calming scents, quiet soothing music, reading, gentle stretching and yoga. It’s also important to establish a regular sleep pattern – going to bed and waking up at roughly the same time. Your bodies and minds will feel much better for it.
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts