Does the temperature of the water contribute to my skin?

Post your sensitive skin questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 am

Does the temperature of the water contribute to my skin?

I already see my GP for severe OCD and anxiety and one of the physical effects is that I wash too much in hot water. Is this contributing to my awfully red, sore and sensitive facial skin, I think its rosacea too? Can I ask for help with this symptom alongside all the mental health treatments I am getting or waiting for? I just seem to have so much wrong with me but my face really upsets me and makes me feel ugly and more anxious?
Thank you, Rachel
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Does the temperature of the water contribute to my skin?

Hi Rachel,
So sorry to hear you are struggling with your skin. Definitely ask for help!

I think the temperature of the water is not helping your sensitive skin. Try and stick with tepid water if you can, but I know it can be hard with the OCD. If you have got redness prone, sensitive skin. Use gentle cleansers like non-foaming cream cleansers which don't strip your skin barrier, but will effectively cleanse your skin. Try not to use harsh alcohol based products on your skin. Try not to wash your face more than twice a day. Use sun protection and a good rich moisturiser.

Your doctor may decided to give you some of the rosacea treatments like soolantra or finacea, oral antibiotics or if not sure could refer you to a dermatologist. Sometimes the redness is a problem with the blood vessels and then may need laser treatment.

Good luck and do make sure you do address this with your doctor.

BW
Dr Emma
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts