Itchy skin around armpits

Post your sensitive skin questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jbutcher

by jbutcher on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:55 am

Itchy skin around armpits

Every year for the past approx 8 years I get red itchy skin around the armpit area. It isn't in the armpit itself but is around the outside of the armpits. It usually starts off early in the year, i.e. now and will last for a couple of months and then go away again for a while and then come back again after several months. It isn't too bad during the day-time in fact I hardly notice it then but when I am in bed I keep waking up to find myself scratching it and then it becomes sore as well. My GP has sent of skin scrapings which are negative and I have tried various creams with no success. I use Aveeno to wash with as I have sensitive skin anyway but this itching is driving me nuts!

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Re: Itchy skin around armpits

Hi there,
Sounds like it's worse in the winter months? It might be a form of eczema or psoriasis. Is it related to deodorant? Try a sensitive skin brand and use roll on not fragrance.

If not, a mild steroid cream might help settle it down? Your GP can suggest a couple. If this still doesn't help, then you could discuss a referral to a dermatologist, occasionally we see unusual rashes in the armpits.

Hope that helps!
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts