when will I know that the menopause is happening?

Post your peri-menopause questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm

when will I know that the menopause is happening?

Hello my question concerns the menopause. I am 52 but have been taking a progesterone only pill for the last 10 years, when will I know that the menopause is happening and at what point do I stop taking the progesterone only pills? This has been puzzling me for some time, please help.
Jeni
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Susie Debice

by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:10 pm

Re: when will I know that the menopause is happening?

Hi there

Because you are already taking progesterone some of the typical perimenopausal symptoms may be masked so it would be a good idea to visit your GP who can explain how to better tailor your hormone support through the menopause.

However, the main goal of the menopause is that eventually your periods will stop, this tends to happen gradually. Sometimes periods get closer together ad heavier before becoming lighter and less frequent and then eventually you'll start to skip periods for a few months. Once you have gone for 1 year without a period (if you are over 50) then you are considered to be officially menopausal.

Symptoms such as anxiety, weight gain, fatigue, change in mood, hot flushes, joint pains, low libido and vaginal dryness and night sweats may continue even when your periods have stopped. Taking nutritional supplements aimed at supporting hormone balance such as Cleanmarine MenoMin and talking to your GP about bio-identical hormone therapy such as Oestrogel and Utrogestan could be helpful during your menopausal and important to consider for your post-menopausal health.

Susie Debice - Food Scientist and Nutritional Therapist
Susie's Women's Health and Menopause Nutrition Clinic
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... debice.php

2 posts