How do you know?

Post your peri-menopause questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Vvanacore

by Vvanacore on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:27 pm

How do you know?

Is there a blood test that you can have to confirm low hormone levels? My GP isn't very helpful, I'm 44 and showing signs of possible peri-menopause, it would be reassuring to know either way

Dr Shahzadi Harper

by Dr Shahzadi Harper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:02 pm

Re: How do you know?

The guidelines are that if you are symptomatic and over 45yrs then you don’t need a blood test.
However 5%of women naturally go through menopause under 45yrs so then it may be worth getting a test.
During perimenopause the test ie FSH blood test can come back normal as hormone levels fluctuate in a daily basis. So then it needs to be repeated in 4-6wks. For me I treat women early and base it in their symptoms rather than the numbers but it’s good to know where your hormones are at before commencing treatment.
Dr Shahzadi Harper
Women's Wellbeing and Menopause Doctor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... harper.php

Susie Debice

by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Re: How do you know?

HI there

Great advice from Dr Harper here, but just to add that whenever your symptoms start, changing your diet and lifestyle could help you get a handle on managing some of your symptoms. There are a number of great diet books for healthy eating during the menopause and supplementing with a multi nutrient formula design to support hormone balance such as Cleanmarine MenoMin is another helpful strategy to help support your body during this hormonal transition.

Fluctuating hormone levels may be responsible for symptoms such as hot flushes, fatigue, low mood and night sweats and nutrients such as vitamins B6 contribute to the regulation of hormonal activity, whereas biotin, folate and vitamins B1, B3, B6 and B12 all have a role to play in supporting mood and mindset. All of these nutrients can be found in Cleanmarine MenoMin alongside krill oil which contains a source of those all important omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.

An independent study involving Cleanmarine MenoMin and menopausal women, taking two capsules a day for 3 months showed positive results so this could offer great nutrition support as you go through the menopause.

Susie Debice - Food Scientist and Nutritional Therapist
Susie's Women's Health and Menopause Nutrition Clinic
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... debice.php

3 posts