Peri menopause & hypothyroidism

Post your peri-menopause questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
choosychops

by choosychops on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:50 pm

Peri menopause & hypothyroidism

I am 52 and currently peri menopause but also have hypothyroidism which l take levothyroxine for.
I suffer terribly with feeling totally exhausted even after a good nights sleep I wake up feeling like everything is an effort a and cannot wait to go back to sleep again. I have had to change to part time hours and a less stressful job to cope. My periods are very heavy with huge clots. I take supplements of vitamin D, and also Spatone with iron and vitamin c. My thyroxine levels are within the normal range.
Is there anything I can do to help myself? My weight has sky rocketed in the last few years and I have just started the ketogenic diet to lose some weight as I don’t want to be fat aunty at my nieces wedding and read this diet does keep your blood sugar levels steady. I really feel at my wits end and wonder if there is anything else I can do to help my energy levels and lose some weight too?

Susie Debice

by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 am

Re: Peri menopause & hypothyroidism

It sounds like you have a goal in mind our a family wedding and this can be a great motivational tool to help propel you forward. If you have started a ketogenic diet then this does have a good track record for good results but remember that it's not just about food you also need to improve your activity and exercise to help burn fat. You may want to consider stepping up your ketogenic diet can converting this into a Keto-fasting. Dr Mercola has some excellent books, cookery books and diet plans on keto-fasting which are available from amazon books, so I would suggest you take a look at these and follow the diet plans that he suggests.

However, you are going to need some energy to help get your activity levels up and menopausal fatigue could leave you feeling totally depleted and lethargic with no real reason for being so tired, which is understandable very frustrating.

Is good to hear that you are already taking iron especially as you are suffering from heavy periods and it's worth asking your GP to check to see if you are suffering from anaemia. Additionally, folate and vitamins B2, B6 and B12 all contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. These B-vitamins can be found in complex carbs and wholegrains but if you are following a ketogenic diet (which is a low carb diet) then you could top-up these vitamins with a supplement such as Cleanmarine MenoMin which contains all of these B's alongside other nutrients know to help support hormone balance. Vitamin C is also a key nutrient when it comes to helping reduce tiredness and fatigue which can be found in green leafy vegetable, berries and citrus fruits.

Susie Debice - Food Scientist and Nutritional Therapist
Susie's Women's Health and Menopause Nutrition Clinic
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... debice.php
Last edited by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Shahzadi Harper

by Dr Shahzadi Harper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:55 pm

Re: Peri menopause & hypothyroidism

Hi

Susie has given some great diet and lifestyle advice.
1in 4 perimenopausal women consider giving up work or going part time.
Are your thyroid function tests optimal.
Have you considered HRT? I see many women feeling the way you do and are doing all the lifestyle and diet elements but it’s when the go onto HRT that there symptoms improve rapidly.
Dr Shahzadi Harper
Women's Wellbeing and Menopause Doctor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... harper.php

3 posts