Menopause

Post your peri-menopause questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gecko2012

by gecko2012 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Menopause

Hello, I am 58 years old and still haven't reached the menopause. My last period was June 2019. Is this normal? Should't I have finished by now?

Susie Debice

by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:53 am

Re: Menopause

HI there

Most women start their menopause by around 55 years old but this isn't typical for everyone - about 10% of women experience a much later menopause which could start anytime from the age of 60 or even as late as 65. Women typical follow the pattern of their mothers menopause so if your mother had a late menopause then this really would also be considered to be normal for you. If you have any concerns then do check in with your GP.

However, it is worth noting that women who don't smoke, don't drink lots of caffeine, have good stress resilience, eat a healthy diet and take regular exercise typically have a smoother transition through the menopause. So over the next few months it would be a good idea to get a few, or all, of these healthy habits in place so that you are well-equipped to cope with the menopause when it finally fully arrives!

Susie Debice - Food Scientist and Nutritional Therapist
Susie's Women's Health Nutrition Clinic
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... debice.php
Last edited by Susie Debice on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Shahzadi Harper

by Dr Shahzadi Harper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Re: Menopause

Hi

Average age of menopause is 51 and most women do go through it by 55. But some women do so later too so you may be one of those who is a late menopauser.
A late menopause increases your risk of ovarian cancer so it’s worth going to your GP for some blood tests and a general review.
Dr Shahzadi Harper
Women's Wellbeing and Menopause Doctor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... harper.php

3 posts