Pain = weight gain

Post your questions on chronic pain here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jeanallen

by jeanallen on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Pain = weight gain

Hello, 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with chronic inflammation in my entire right hip and told by my GP that it is likely to last for several more weeks. I am 83 years of age but usually very active doing gym twice a week and line dancing twice weekly. As a result of this severe pain causing me to now lead such a sedentary life I am now piling on unwanted weight. I eat healthily most of the time as I am always weight conscious but with so much sitting around, snacking seems to be inevitable. Do you have any suggestions please?

Lisa Irving

by Lisa Irving on Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Re: Pain = weight gain

Hello Jean,

Very sorry to hear you are in pain!

There are a few natural anti-inflammatory remedies like Meriva curcumin and Boswelia that are very effective for relieving inflammation and joint pain. High dose Omega-3 (mix of EPA/DHA) is also very good for that. Please discuss with your GP if you could safely add them to your daily routine.

I would also suggest adding good amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your diet which is known to have strong anti-inflammatory action and is beneficial for joints in particular, and all throughout the body. Oil from Thassos (Verlina oil) has particularly good feedback. It has more oleocanthal than other varieties. I have personal experience with it and if taken regularly (2 tablespoons daily - not heated e.g adding to salads) it works well with pain relief and reducing inflammation within a few weeks of regular use.

And at the moment while the movement is still restricted just see this as an opportunity to rest and heal and maybe focus on some things that you haven't done before. And of course stay well hydrated and make sure all your food (and snacks) is very healthy e.g. avoid any processed and refined foods as they are known to exacerbate inflammation.

Hope you get well soon and all my best,
Lisa

2 posts