Smear test

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 am

Smear test

I would love to know if it is possible to do your own smear test?

I know smear tests are not pleasant for a lot of women and there is often a feeling of embarrassment.

I often hear 'it's over quickly and that few seconds of embarrassment and/or discomfort could save your life.' For many women this may be true but for others including myself it's not as simple as that.

As a survivor of sexual abuse I have overcome many struggles and learnt coping mechanisms for many situations and experiences. Due to the invasive nature of a smear test it is the one obstacle I have been unable to overcome despite my best efforts. I will soon be celebrating my 40th birthday and have had 2 smear tests in my life, both of which had to be done under general anesthetic as every other option available had been exhausted. Taking sedating medication is not an option due to the issues surrounding consent during the smear test.

Thank you.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Tracie Miles

by Tracie Miles on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Re: Smear test

The researchers are listening to you !

We are on the way to developing self - testing kits , it will take time to refine but your point is well made and research continues,

There is a superb team in Manchester headed up by Professor Emma Crosbie looking at urine sampling as a potential ....

Wishing you a happy 40th .....

2 posts