Hysterectomy after taking Tamoxifen

Post your questions here on hysterectomy.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Tiggywiggy

by Tiggywiggy on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Hysterectomy after taking Tamoxifen

I was diagnosed with stage 1 DCIS, had a mastectomy and I am now on 5 years of Tamoxifen. After 18 months it is mostly OK. My gynaecologists seems to want me to have an elective hysterectomy (removing everything) basically to 'avoid' ovarian and uterine cancer. The only family member with similar cancers is a cousin (my mother's niece) who is 8 years older than me ... she had stage 1 endemiotral cancer ( all removed) but recently was diagnosed with stage 0 bc. I have never had any gynae problems at all. Would a hysterectomy be a good idea for me?

Tracie Miles

by Tracie Miles on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Re: Hysterectomy after taking Tamoxifen

Delighted to hear you are well after your breast cancer treatment>
Can we suggest you talk to your gynaecologists to explain the risks and benefits of this surgery ?
Are they considering genetic implications? From what you describe it doesn't sound likely ?

Tiggywiggy

by Tiggywiggy on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Hysterectomy after taking Tamoxifen

Thank you. My gynaecologist is suggesting a hysterectomy purely as preventative. She asked me to speak to my oncologist when I next see her. I have asked my oncologist about this before but she says she does not see the need to remove 'healthy tissue' and I should just follow the suggested guidelines for annual monitoring.

3 posts