Fistula

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
worrywart

by worrywart on Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Fistula

Hi,
I’m 59 and 5 years ago I had a hysterectomy. I had a history of severe endometriosis spanning 20 years and a suspect mass had been identified. I had massive reservations about this op as I knew my pelvis was complex however the surgeons went ahead and said it would be fine.
Disaster struck - my bowel perforated resulting in an enterocutaneous fistula. I remained in hospital for months. Five years on I have thee stoma bags, a damaged bladder, gallbladder disease and a host of other physical and psychological problems,
I feel massively let down as my health is ruined with no hope of repair. I think there should be far more awareness on complications in surgery, I wasn’t aware the implications of a hysterectomy could be so permanent and life changing. The suspect mass they terrified me about was a benign fibroma and had actually been picked up 30 years previously. Did I even need the surgery.
Is there anything you can advise that may help me accept this. I feel mutilated as a woman, can no longer have intimacy and my marriage is obviously struggling. Apart from which I am now chronically ill and there is absolutely no support out there for cases like me. It’s rare until it happens to you.

Tracie Miles

by Tracie Miles on Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Re: Fistula

We are so sorry to hear your health story.

Can we suggest you talk with your GP re referring you to clinical psychology services to help you find tactics / coping mechanisms to deal with your physical and emotional needs.

We are really sorry also that we are unable to offer you help directly.

2 posts