Post natal vulval and perineal states

If your question doesn't fit into any of the above categories please post your question to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
cathytoss

by cathytoss on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 am

Post natal vulval and perineal states

Hello! I gave birth vaginally about eleven and a half years ago. Things didn't quite go to plan and i ended up on my back and then episiotomy and grabbers... he's doing great, started upper school this year.
But. My stitches didn't hold and 'repair' wasn't done until he was almost four and the first stitch made quite a high shelf to enter over while the rest were quite loose and the scar tissue is loads and easily torn. Speculums are a nightmare, nevermind I've been sexual- penetration free for over twelve years.
I guess this is a vulval/perineal question. I've been told (by non gynae) that any repair to the vulva would be cosmetic, but i think it's functional, thank you very much, and I'd like your opinions. Also I'd like tho know if you have any knowledge of ways to strengthen scar tissue. I have bladder and bowel issues from some of this as well and that doesn't help the perineal tissue stay intact or infection free.
Yeah ok, i guess that's enough for now. :roll: :)

Dr Emma Kirk

by Dr Emma Kirk on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Re: Post natal vulval and perineal states

This doesn’t sound cosmetic at all. It sounds appropriate to ask your GP to refer you to a pelvic floor clinic. Unfortunately some women do have to have surgery to ‘refashion’ their perineum after childbirth.
Dr Emma Kirk
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist - BSc, MBBS, MRCOG, MD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... a_kirk.php

cathytoss

by cathytoss on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks for that. Sometimes it's just a confidence boost needed to overcome doubts tho ask fir the help. We'll see if that's what was needed!

cathytoss

by cathytoss on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:39 pm

I just found what used tho be called 'women's health' has become the 'pelvic health physiotherapy team'. I thought they had just disappeared. They were the ones who were my first confidence boost: "that's not a dent, it's a divot. Nope, that's an actual hole."

4 posts