Struggling at night with temperature

Post your questions about perfect sleep environment here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Felicity Star

by Felicity Star on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am

Struggling at night with temperature

I’m 49 and having problems with regulating my temperature at night. I haven’t been through the menopause and know its not that. I’m not having hot flushes. I don’t have great circulation, and suffer with nerve pain. I always feel cold going to bed at night so I use hot water bottles. However, after a while I then get too hot and then start sweating and have to remove the water bottles. It then takes me ages to get back to sleep! Once my body has cooled down I then feel too cold again and the whole process starts again!! There is no in between! Is there anything out there that can help me, other than having to install a climate control system like in a hotel (which is out of the question as too expensive)

lisaartis

by lisaartis on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Re: Struggling at night with temperature

Thanks for your question.

Temperature fluctuations at night are normal and are part of regulating your sleep/wake cycle. Your core body temperature does drop in an evening ready for sleep and rises again in the morning preparing you to wake up. However some people are particularly sensitive to temperature and these changes can lead them to waking up feeling too hot etc.

I understand you haven't been through the menopause yet but given your age, perimenopause may be to blame. Certain medications can also lead to temperature sensitivity too. I would suggest you see your GP to discuss this as well as to determine if there are any underlying health issues.

Other areas to look at:
- It's important to keep your bedroom at ambient temperature - around 16-18 degrees Celsius
- What you're sleeping on - some types of mattress can make body temperature control more difficult
- Bedding - non breathable bedding can exacerbate high body temperatures
Lisa Artis
Head of The Sleep Council

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _artis.php

2 posts