At home remedies

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lgeorginad508

by lgeorginad508 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 pm

At home remedies

During this fairly stressful time my skin has seemed to become even more itchy than it usually is.

I was on the road to being prescribed immunosuppressants which obviously would not have been ideal in the current situation but I am wondering now that I don't have access to a dermatologist as I would like to avoid going into hospitals if at all possible, is there something i can do at home to help my psoriasis (especially scalp) stop being so itchy? I have tried an oatmeal bath and that seemed to help but only very short term and not my scalp particularly.
Thanks,
Lara

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Re: At home remedies

Thank you for contacting us with your question. As you already have a diagnosis of psoriasis you may have access to topical treatments, I suggest you ask your GP to issue prescriptions of the creams that have been most helpful so far for your skin. Also do consider contacting the dermatology department that usually manages your skin, they may be able to give telephone advice or issue prescriptions remotely. I am doing this for my own patients currently as well. Using effective treatment will control the psoriasis better and reduce itch. In addition there are other things that may help:
1. Consider a sedating antihistamine at night, this will reduce scratching and lead to a more restful sleep. Feeling tired can make you more itchy during the day and increase the tendency to scratch
2. Use leave-in treatments for the scalp prior to washing, for example, coconut oil or any other greasy emollient, or combination medical products like coal tar/salicylic acid/coconut oil. Steroid scalp applications can be helpful but they need to be prescribed by a doctor.
3. If skin is feeling hot, cooling products like aloe vera gel, or a cool gel-pack can help
4. Consider anti-inflammatory supplements like vitamin D, turmeric, omega-3-fatty acids
5. Take cool/tepid showers instead of hot showers/baths. Consider adding dead sea salts to the bath and soaking for 20mins if you can
6. Consider at home psychological interventions, like mindfulness, to help you cope with feelings of stress
I hope this information is helpful. I wish you all the best.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts