OCD/rosacea

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
castlebergh

by castlebergh on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:57 pm

OCD/rosacea

I suffer from contamination OCD and excessively wash therefore have very dry skin all over but my face bothers me most as I seem to have rosacea? it is very red and inflamed/hot from using hot water and harsh products for years? Is there anything to treat this type of rosacea/ or if it is rosacea even? and any other tips, plus any products that might help?

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:40 pm

Re: OCD/rosacea

Thank you for contacting us with this question. It is difficult to tell from your description if you have rosacea or not. As you correctly mention, your symptoms may be due to the excessive washing and products. I would suggest, when able, that you are assessed by your GP and/or dermatologist. In addition, with regards to your question about products/tips, I would suggest the following to reduce damage to the skin:
1. Wash face with a soap substitute (e.g. Dermol 500 lotion that contains antimicrobial) or a very gentle cleanser (e.g. Effaclar H cleansing cream)
2. Dry gently and thoroughly with a soft towel after washing to ensure all remains of products are removed from the skin. Pat dry and don't rub harshly (this avoids over-exfoliating the skin)
3. Use an emollient post washing and overnight to re-hydrate the skin (e.g. Effaclar H cream moisturiser overnight, Toleriane Sensitive Fluid during the day)
4. Avoid highly perfumed and irritant ingredients in products as this may make your symptoms worse by irritating your skin further
Just to add to this, having OCD can have a huge impact on your quality of life and the way you feel. This may be something you want to address formally with your health care practitioner (if you haven't already). There are some very good treatment options available, including both medication and psychological interventions/talking therapies. I wish you all the very best with this.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

professor andrew r thompson

by professor andrew r thompson on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: OCD/rosacea

Washing faer of contamination type OCD can effect skin functioning in two ways - obviously the washing directly effects the skin but also the underlying stress typically associated with OCD can also have an impact on the skin. I certainly agree with Alia that if you have not done so already seeking support for the OCD directly would be very likely to also have a positive effect on your skin. The evidence for specific forms of cognitive behavioural therapy developed to treat OCD is very good. This type of talking therapy is ot easy but can be very empowering and it is would be worth visiting one of the links that I shared in the other posts that will take you to IAPT services and to the professional body for CBT Therapists (BABCP). Many clinical psychologists are also proficient in CBT. This form of support is available via te NHS and on a private practice basis.

Very best,

Andrew
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

3 posts