So self conscious

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:21 am

So self conscious

My daughter (30) has been on steroids for years as she is a brittle Asthmatic which has resulted in thinning of the skin and pink/white marks (like stretch marks is the only way to describe them) additionally, she has slow wound healing which is very poor resulting in ulcers. She has religiously used Bio Oil but they still keep appearing and she is very self-conscious of them.

What else can she do. Help!!

Thank you, Linda
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Re: So self conscious

Thank you for contacting us. I can appreciate that your daughter must feel self-conscious about her skin, and this is very common if you have a visible difference. In terms of treatment for her skin it is important to maintain the skin's natural barrier. Simple measures include -
1. Washing with a soap substitute (usually gentler than soaps)
2. Liberal and frequent application of emollients
3. Addressing any new problems quickly - you mention that her skin is slow to heal, it would be helpful when there us a skin injury to think about applying treatments that can improve healing, this includes hydrocolloid gels/dressings.
4. Consider a skin supplement (several available over the counter)
If there is a long history of steroid use and skin changes it is worth asking to see a dermatologist to see if there are any other measures to improve skin health. Ask your daughter how much her skin is affecting her quality of life, if it is stopping her from doing the things she wants to do then it might be worth considering a holistic approach and seeing a psychodermatologist. Your GP will be able to refer you, there are few of us so you may have to travel, but we are always happy to see patients. I wish you both the very best.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts