Teenager with acne

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 am

Teenager with acne

My son is 16. He has had acne for the last 18 months or so. It started with blackheads and now seems to become small red spots quite quickly, some with pustules. He’s a bit fed up with it to be honest.

He washes regularly and I have bought La Roche Possay (Effeclar) face wash and topical cream for him which helps a little. He eats a good and varied diet and I have also encouraged him to eat lower GI foods where he can to help regulate blood sugar. I am reluctant for him to take antibiotics.

So, I have 2 questions. Could a good probiotic help? If so, which one? He tried an Optibac one and it gave him wind! And I have read that diluting HistaminX tablets in water and spraying this on the skin could help. Can you see any benefit/harm in this?

Any other tips v welcome!

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Esther
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm

Re: Teenager with acne

Thank you for your question. There is some evidence for the benefits of gut health and skin, so a probiotic is not a bad idea, but it is unlikely to solve the problem on its own. There are several in the market, the Bio-Kult brand may be an alternative. To my knowledge, the use of the HistaminX for acne is not one that is recommended by dermatologists. Although you are understandably concerned about antibiotic use, it is very commonly used to treat acne in the early stages. It might be helpful to see your GP, if you haven't already done so, to discuss the medical options for treatment, especially if your son is starting to feel fed up with his skin. Oral treatment is not always necessary, some medications for acne are available as creams/lotions and are extremely effective. I hope this is helpful. I wish you both the very best.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

2 posts