Hyperpigmentation

Post your questions regarding mental health and skin conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
ellie-g1

by ellie-g1 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:45 am

Hyperpigmentation

Hi I have dark skin and hyperpigmentation all over my face and body from where eczema used to dwell, is there anything I can do about it? I feel depressed about it sometimes.

Dr Alia Ahmed

by Dr Alia Ahmed on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 pm

Re: Hyperpigmentation

Thank you for your question. If your eczema is no longer active (i.e. not red, itchy or flaky) you may be a candidate for cream-based treatment to lighten the dark areas. You would need to see a dermatologist to be assessed for your eligibility. These creams have to be used carefully and under proper supervision. We know that having a visible skin problem can have psychological consequences for some people, it is important that you are able to share your feelings with people that you trust and/or your healthcare practitioner. If you are feeling low about your skin and this is making you unable to do the things you want to do then please discuss with your GP. You may benefit from a formal referral to dermatology to discuss treatment options, as well as access to psychological interventions/talking therapies. I wish you all the very best.
Dr Alia Ahmed
Consultant Dermatologist - BSc MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _ahmed.php

professor andrew r thompson

by professor andrew r thompson on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Re: Hyperpigmentation

It is not unusal for changes in skin appearance to detrimentally affect our wellbeing. The website skinsupport.org.uk has some tips on improving wellbeing. This website was developed by a varierty of experts and is hosted by the British Association of Dermatologists.

The charity Changing Faces also has many excellent self-help resources aimed at building confidence. Changing Faces also has a camouflage service.

If you are worrying about the impact that your current mood is having on your wider life then the evidence base for counselling and for CBT and IPT (specific forms of talking therapy) are very good for mild to moderate depression, and are recommended prior to considering medication.

There is nothing to lose from having a chat to your GP or visiting NHS IAPT/Psychological services which ofton now accept direct referrals (I posted some links in other posts).

Very best wishes,

Andrew
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ompson.php

3 posts