Diverticular Disease and diarrhoea

If you have questions about constipation or diarrhoea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Diverticular Disease and diarrhoea

I have Diverticular Disease and am having issues over the past week with diarrhoea - I'm lactose intolerant but my diet hasn't changed at all - I generally keep to a fairly low fibre diet and eat a lot of pasta. I am under a Dietitian.
Thanks Caroline
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Diverticular Disease and diarrhoea

Dear Caroline,

The short history of diarrhoea can be caused by a number of factors - possible related to your diverticular disease but there are many other causes. Most episodes of a viral gastroenteritis clear up quite quickly - however if you have persistent symptoms - then you should discuss with your GP - who may want you to provide some stool (poo) samples to rule out infection and potentially also other tests to look for signs of inflammation or traces of blood.

If you feel this is a spectrum of what is normal for you - then you cold potentially follow some further dietary advice from your dietician. In regards to diverticular disease, it really is an individual approach with regards to your diet, some people tend to respond to a low residue/fibre diet and some to a higher fibre diet. Needless to say - still important for it to be balanced with a good oral fluid intake and ideally regular exercise (make the most of your one piece of outdoor exercise per day!). We tend to avoid medications unless necessary - sometimes fibre supplements such as fybogel, occasionally antibiotics if there are signs to suggest diverticulitis and anti-spasmodics such as buscopan and mebeverine which can help with cramps and bloating.

Kind Regards,

Jamal Hayat
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts