Extreme bloating & pelvic pain

Ask our experts your questions to do with IBS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Carhianna

by Carhianna on Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Extreme bloating & pelvic pain

I have had IBS for over 25 years the swelling and bloating is so extreme now I often struggle to walk, I also suffer pelvic and back pain. Been told my doctor nothing I can do about it. She gives me peppermint oil capsules but the make me sick.

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Extreme bloating & pelvic pain

HI There,

Sorry to hear that you have been suffering for so long. Peppermint can help some individuals with mild symptoms by relaxing the intestinal muscle. However this does not always work for some and it may be that you would benefit from some other treatment options. There are other anti-spasmodics ( I suspect you may have already tried these). However prior to more medications, it may be worth discussing any precipitating factors for example in you diet with a dietician - who could recommend a dietary treatment plan which may include individualised dietary restrictions. Initially -dairy free or wheat free diet. A low FODMAP diet can be used and is favoured by a lot of dieticians.
Investigations can sometimes be helpful - more to exclude other conditions as well as to investigate for 'faecal loading' which can cause abdominal distension/bloating and altered bowel habit. This would be treated with dietary change and laxatives. Small bowel Bacterial overgrowth is a slightly controversial diagnosis treatment is with a course of antibiotics. There are stronger treatment options to help reduce symptoms but if you are struggling or they are getting worse - then I would suggest rediscussing with your GP or asking for referral to see a gastroenterologist.

Kind Regards,

Jamal Hayat
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts