how to I keep healthy bowels?

If you have any bowel or IBS questions that don't fit into the topics above please post them to our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:25 pm

how to I keep healthy bowels?

I've had chronic pancreatitis for over 10 years - gall stones that got stuck - I take creon but have developed food intolerances that were discovered via dietician led elimination diet gluten & soya. I eat a low fat diet, I'm vegetarian & have bowel problems too. I had a laparotomy is 2007 following a perforation of my bowel from a colonoscopy. My stools are either yellow loose etc or I'm constipated. I had fecal impaction when in hospital. My question is - how to I keep healthy bowels with this condition & intolerances?
Thank you
Carolyn
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:44 pm

Re: how to I keep healthy bowels?

Hi Carolyn

It sounds like you have been through an awful lot! I wonder if you a re taking an appropriate dose of the creon - you may also need to add in a proton pump inhibitor to aid in fat digestion. In regards to the constipation - definitely start off with diet - enough regular fibre , good fluid intake and regular exercise. Your dietician should be able to help you pick and chose things you like which will help with your constipation eg prunes, kiwi, porridge, oats, golden linseed/flackseed and to continue these dietary changes on a regular basis.

Kind Regards,
Jamal Hayat
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

Dr Mani Naghibi

by Dr Mani Naghibi on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:10 pm

Re: how to I keep healthy bowels?

Hi Carolyn,

Agree with Dr Hayat, you certainly seem to have had to deal with a lot of GI issues.

Appears you have a mix of malabsorption from the pancreatic insufficiency effecting small bowel and constipation effecting large bowel.

As suggested higher Creon doses and proton pump inhibitors will also help, as will timing the doses 10 min before meals. Makes sure you take croon even with small snacks.

The constipation may benefit from clearing the bowel with strong laxatives and maintaining on advice already mentioned by Dr Hayat.

Good luck
Dr Mani Naghibi
Gastroenterology Consultant

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... aghibi.php

3 posts