Bowel Issue/Fissure - Not sure

Ask our experts any questions you may have about haemorrhoids (piles) and anal fissures here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:35 am

Bowel Issue/Fissure - Not sure

I've had a bowel issue since approximately the end of January. Basically, when it's full or filling, I have a feeling of mild irritation. After I expel I feel discomfort for several hours, sometimes it can be relieved with a hot bath. The other symptoms that presents are on the occasional instance it will feel like I'm sitting on something, and this morning after going to the toilet there's a mild burning sensation, not too intrusive but enough to notice. There's a noticable amount of mucous upon wiping too.

I've been to my GP, fully expecting her to diagnose a hemorrhoid, she performed a rectal exam and couldn't see anything untoward. I was prescribed topical cream and told to come back if it didn't improve. I thought it improved in the interim but then there'd be days where I'd feel discomfort again, then this week it feels pretty bad.

There's been no abdominal pain or blood in my stools so that's given me comfort, but has anyone experienced anything like the above? Could it be a fissure?
Thanks, BillboJones
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jamal Hayat

by Dr Jamal Hayat on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:21 am

Re: Bowel Issue/Fissure - Not sure

Hi There,

Fissures tend to occur with a history of constipation - so you may benefit from optimising/increasing your fluid and fibre intake. Make sure you don't hold your poo in and try not to strain. Sometimes benefit form a fibre supplement such as fybogel or a course of laxatives. The advice is similar for haemorrhoids. Both can come and go and may not have been present when you saw your GP, so if the symptoms are persisting- you may need to see your GP again.

Kind Regards,

Jamal Hayat
Dr Jamal Hayat
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _hayat.php

2 posts