Can't stop scratching

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon May 11, 2020 11:22 am

Can't stop scratching

Hi, I’ve been a sufferer of this for several years and it’s had a big impact on my life. My outer labial flaps have now receded as has my clitoris. I have intense itching and pain and the GP has prescribed a topical cream. This has not been much help and I’m tending to use Hydromol permanently to moisten the skin. I can’t stop scratching and make myself bleed several times a day. Is there anything else I could try? Due to disability, I can’t access a bath and only have access to a walk-in shower.
Thank you in advance for any tips, do you think I should make an appointment with my Gp for a check-up as I’ve not been checked for several years.
Thank you, Sue
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 pm

Re: Can't stop scratching

If you have ongoing symptoms and have not been seen for several years I would advise you to make an appointment to see your GP. The intense itching means that the treatment you are currently using is not the correct one. Perhaps your steroid cream is not potent enough. Lichen Sclerosus needs to be treated with very potent steroid creams such as Clobetasol propionate. This cream is usually used once a day for a month and every other day for the second month. This will stop the itching or improve it significantly and minimise or even prevent any further scarring (the fact that you are losing the labia means that the condition is causing scarring changes). Your GP may also take a swab from the vulval skin if they suspect infection may be present. The inflammation caused by Lichen sclerosus means that the skin is more susceptible to fungal and/or bacterial infection and sometimes this is the reason why the itch is not improving despite a potent steroid cream. In this case, we usually prescribe a cream that has anti-bacterial and/or anti-fungal in combination with a potent steroid. In uncontrolled Lichen Sclerosus there is also a small risk of developing vulval cancer. If you notice any lump or bump in the vulval area, or any persistent soreness or itch that is not improving with a potent steroid cream, you would need to be examined urgently.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts