Restoring the structure of the vulva

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon May 11, 2020 11:37 am

Restoring the structure of the vulva

Hello

I've suffered with LS for over 20 years. I have extensive fusing of the labia and have now completely lost my clitoris.

I've been using dermovate and emolients regularly.

Is there anything that can done to restore any of the structure of my vulva. I would like to resume and enjoy my sex life. I currently have very little sensation and become very sore after sex.

Thanks

Jo
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Nevianna Bordet

by Dr Nevianna Bordet on Mon May 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Restoring the structure of the vulva

I am very sorry to hear that the Lichen Sclerosus has caused so much scarring. Fusion over the clitoral hood can cause the clitoris to become buried, but it's not "lost" as some women fear. This leads to decreased or loss of sensitivity. Fusion of the labia can lead to a narrower opening into vagina that can make sexual intercourse painful, or sometimes impossible. Surgery can be carried out by an experienced surgeon but is usually a last resort as it can activate the Lichen Sclerosus and this can lead to further fusion after the operation, sometimes worse than the initial scarring. Have you tried using a good vaginal lubricant during intercourse to prevent pain such as Yes, Sylk or Replens? Vaginal dilators (such as Amielle dilators) can also be helpful and can sometimes be obtained on prescription. These come in a variety of sizes and starting with the smallest size you can gently try to stretch the tissues to improve some of the scarring/ fusion. Always remember to use these with a lubricant.
Dr Nevianna Bordet
Consultant Dermatologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bordet.php

2 posts