Do I need to be seen for a biopsy?

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon May 11, 2020 11:45 am

Do I need to be seen for a biopsy?

Hello
I wondered if you could help? I was referred to a general menopause clinic to see a gynaecologist about a range of side effects from tamoxifen ( I had breast cancer last year) so all of my side effects are like the menopause. I had been complaining of burning itching etc and dryness and had been told to use Yes and vagifem. The gynaecologist did a cursory examination and said she thought she could see LS but I needed to be seen by a dermatologist in the vulval clinic for a further review and biopsy and told to use an emollient and oestrogen cream in the meantime but ultimately it will be treated by steroid if confirmed. As I have a history of cancer, my gp fast tracked referred me the same day (4th March) and I have been sent an appt for 12 May. Now with Covid 19, it’d been turned into a telephone appt. I am worried as I’m not being seen or biopsy - my gp has since given me a steroid cream but I have no idea where and how to apply it. So I used a very small amount around the anal area as that was the worse itching - I used it 2 x week for a couple of weeks and that itching has improved but when I was initially examined she said she could see White patches around Labia area. I want to insist on a face to face examination and biopsy and proper treatment plan. What should I be doing? Because of Covid, I am working at home so can wear loose clothes/ no underwear which is also helping.

Do I need to be seen ASAP for a biopsy etc?

Thank you
Anon
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Mon May 11, 2020 5:36 pm

Re: Do I need to be seen for a biopsy?

Yes - the COVID crisis is making things a bit more challenging in all sorts of ways, but best to stay safe.
At the moment, many hospitals are making the first appointment a telephone call and then, if needed and when possible, a visit to the clinic may be arranged.
It is of course difficult to make a diagnosis without seeing the skin, but if you have already been examined by a gynaecologist, it sounds as if there were no alarming features. So a biopsy would only be needed if the diagnosis was not certain from the appearances of your skin.
I think that the telephone call tomorrow could be very helpful in sorting out how to use the treatment and what other sorts of things could help you. Then it can be decided when you might need to be seen in person and if a biopsy is necessary.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts