Steroid treatment

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 am

Steroid treatment

How do sufferers of LS get their GP to take this condition seriously, and to stop warning us off using steroid treatment as it supposedly thins the skin?
My own GP is very reluctant to prescribe further steroid when I have used up my 3 month supply, after using it properly for maintenance as advised by my Consultant.

Thank you.
Jan
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm

Re: Steroid treatment

Lichen sclerosus is usually a long-term condition and will need long-term treatment. However, the treatment you need when it is bad (i.e. very inflamed) may be different to the treatment you need when it is quiet. So you want to use just enough and just strong enough treatment to keep your severity of lichen sclerosus under control.
If you are seeing a consultant to guide you with the treatment, perhaps clear instructions could be included in the next letter to your GP regarding the strength and quantity of prescription needed. Alternatively, many hospitals, especially now, are providing written advice to GPs about a patient, if the GP writes in. This is called 'Advice and Guidance'.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts