Prevention Vs Cure

Post your questions regarding lichen sclerosus here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
kat22gr

by kat22gr on Mon May 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Prevention Vs Cure

I was diagnosed with this five+ years ago and have had almost constant reoccurrences over that time. Sometimes it gets so bad that it actually feels like my skin is burnt and bleeds. Peeing is incredibly painful when it touches the skin. I use Bethamelasone when it flares up but should I be using it as a preventative as well?
I also have fused labia which I’m told is part and parcel of the condition. What causes this to happen?

Dr Jane Sterling

by Dr Jane Sterling on Mon May 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: Prevention Vs Cure

Treatment for lichen sclerosus is a long-term challenge. The betamethasone cream or ointment is a good treatment for the skin problem, but it sounds as if your symptoms are definitely not under control, and you may not be using it enough. It can be difficult to know how often to use such a topical steroid treatment - too much, too often may thin the skin and make it more fragile, but too little, too rarely will allow the inflammation of lichen sclerosus to cause damage to the skin. Getting the right balance of 'just enough' treatment is the aim!
Without seeing your skin, it is difficult to know what would be best for you, but I often suggest daily or even twice daily treatment with something such as betamethasone for a week or two for a flare, and then reduce down to a once or twice weekly maintenance. It also helps to use an unperfumed moisturising wash instead of soap or shower gel, and to apply a rich moisturiser after washing (available from the chemist or on prescription).
The fused labia you mention can occur as the inflammation of lichen sclerosus can damage the skin and make the sore surface of the skin stick tighter to the adjacent skin and hence lead to the 'fusion' or sticking together of adjacent surfaces.
Dr Jane Sterling
MB, BChir, MA, FRCP, PhD, FHEA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... erling.php

2 posts